Part 1 – “Klein Jakkalsies”
A fly-tying workshop presented by Gordon van der Spuy (aka the Feather Mechanic) focusing on those tiny details (klein jakkalsie) in tying that often get overlooked. Small details make a big difference but, in many instances, people aren’t even aware of them. The path to fly-tying enlightenment is in understanding the logic behind what you’re doing when you’re tying.
Aspects covered will include –
• The importance of thread selection and thread control.
• Establishing wraps.
• Conventional and unconventional wraps.
• Thread torque and how it affects you.
• How materials influence the way you work with them.
• The design principles of tying.
This is not Gordon trying to teach you to tie 10 killer patterns. This is Gordon giving you the tools to understand why the patterns are effective and how to incorporate this knowledge in whatever it is you’re tying. The idea is to get people thinking and not just following.
Part 2 – “The Fly-O-Scope”
The session includes the screening of 4 local fly-tying films. Gordon will be doing the book signing for his new book and telling people more about the journey he took writing the book and what he learned along the way.
• Members have to RSVP (email Cynthia) to book a seat as tickets are being sold to the public, and we do have a limited number of seats for the event. The Club will cover the cost of the seat and boerie roll for lunch for members.
• Gordon’s 2nd book will be on sale until stock runs out. If there are members who want to reserve a book in advance, please notify Cynthia.
• Non-members cost R200.00 for entrance, boerewors roll and R50 fly tying material voucher. Go to www.streamandsea.com for tickets (as of Monday 16 October 2023).
• No friends or potential new members can attend unless they purchase a ticket online.